Friday, January 23, 2009

Karyn's back...

Well, hello again.  :-)  I thought it was high time for an update from me.  I'm still not seeing super well (probably due to the fact that one of my new drops keeps my eye dialated) and I tire out awfully easily, but I feel better every day and am therefore feeling loads better than when Adam last wrote.  

I've been back to the doctor yesterday, where in response to my pressure being up to 23 in the left eye, he pressed my eye with his thumb (hurt like crazy), getting my pressure down to 4.   It's bizarre to me that following such a precise and delicate surgery, the adjustment involves playing uncle with my eyeball...  I will continue to go in every few days which could be for a while.  No one's really saying how long.  I do know that the doctor told me (after the surgery) that the surgery was the easy part, now comes the "hard" part.  Yikes.  The surgery seemed might hard to me...  

The good news is that my new glasses already came in today (which I just ordered on Saturday in a panic), my mom and I headed out to pick them up and go out to lunch, then tried to visit people at the yarn store, but I tanked and had to go home to pass out.  It's disorienting being out not being able to see well, but I know it will get better with each passing day.  And, quite honestly, I'm just glad I can see at all.  

My mom's been supremely helpful, as I can't drive, lift anything over a gallon of milk, or lower my head past my heart, so she's been busy keeping the house afloat and shuttling the girls to and fro.

The girls are doing okay.  Anna had a tough time leading up to the surgery.  She was really nervous and cried a lot when we would talk about it.  Grace has had a tougher time afterwards, wanting me to take her to MP and read to her.  It's hard for her to understand why I can't do these things yet, especially since I look relatively normal (except for a very alert looking left eyeball).  

I've been completely humbled and grateful for everyone's kind words both here on the blog, and in calls and emails.  I am so thankful to have all of you in my life.  There is nothing like a crisis to make you realize how much you are loved--and I definitely feel loved indeed.  Thank you.  Each of you helped me face this surgery, which I found very, very scary, with bravery and strength--and I'm going to be okay.  

I'll be back in touch soon.

1 comment:

Snickollet said...

So glad to hear your voice through your post. Also glad your mom is around to help out. Keep resting and taking care of yourself.