Wednesday, July 2, 2008

whole new holes

Here's hoping I don't shock the grandparents....

Anna got her ears pierced on Monday. She's been wanting them pierced for quite a while now, and finally talked Adam down from his original thought of 32 being a reasonable age to put holes in her head. I got my ears pierced at seven, so after that age seemed like fair game to me. We both agreed she had to be old enough to take care of them herself, which, quite honestly, she really wasn't when she was seven. Well, around Christmas time Adam and I told Anna that she could get her ears pierced when she felt ready. Once given the okay, her pleading all but stopped, and she would only occasionally bring it up (I think it was more the temptation of the forbidden that enticed her). Finally she started bringing it up again a few weeks ago and while Auntie Mik was here seemed to be the perfect time to do it. I must say I was really, really glad to have Mikaron there with me for support (I got nervous!!). Anna was the picture of serenity and poise, though. She got a bit nervous, they put both earrings in at the same moment (why didn't they have that technology when I was a kid?!), and she declared immediately after that she was "okay" and was excited to see what they looked like. Really, Mik and I both agreed she was amazing. Grace loved watching it all and has even said since that she's "proud for Anna." I'm happy that she still looks like a little girl, just a little sparklier. Adam was shocked we went without him, and often talks about Anna "before she had holes in her head", but I think he's adjusting just fine. And, you have to admit, she looks quite cute:



I have had quite the exciting week. Adam completely surprised me by having Mikaron fly out for my birthday (Soley couldn't make it--we missed you, Soley!!!). Adam and the girls came to visit me at the Needlepoint Joint, which was already a surprise, and a few minutes later, Mikaron walked into the shop. It was perfectly executed. I was stunned and immediately started to cry. It was great. Then Adam surprised me again by saying we were headed to Alta Lodge for two nights. Here I was planning to go to GS day camp for the next two days, and Adam informs me that they already know and I only think they need me: they don't. So, very disoriented, I leave work (everyone there knew, too), go home and try to pack (if only I had known, I would have done laundry!). Well, we had a great time needless to say. It was so nice to spend so much time with Mik with nothing else we had to do... We had a lot of plans to do lots of different, fun things: yoga, hikes, a movie, time at the spa, but mostly we ended up sitting on the beautiful patio, talking and eating: DIVINE. We did sit in the hot tub and sauna, we made it to REI for a birthday shopping spree, and we flew down the mountain on the alpine slide, but my fondest memories will always be just hanging out with Mik. Thank you so much for coming out to spend the weekend with me, Mik! I loved every minute!

Then, after we got back from our relaxing weekend, Adam and the girls had a big party for me (I had found out about this part of the surprise). We had a great group of some of my favorite people. It was a great, great day. I was exhausted from all the hullaballoo, but--Man--what a way to turn 36! Thank you so much, Adam. You make me feel special every day, but this weekend topped it all. :-)

3 comments:

Snickollet said...

Happy belated birthday! Sounds like a wonderful celebration.

For the record, Madeleine asked if she could get her ears pierced. She's TWO. One of the babies at daycare had her ears pierced and Maddie keeps talking about it, grabbing her ears and saying, "Maddie want earrings. Maddie want earrings." Um, no. Not yet!

Mikaron said...

I loved being a part of the surprise and spending such a wonderful weekend with you and your family! It is truly precious time, when you get to sit with a dear friend and just watch the clouds roll over the mountains (or yarn balls roll down them). Love you, K!

Soley said...

I missed you guys too!!!!!!!!!
:(
Glad you had such a wonderful time though. Promise I won't miss the next one!