Sunday, June 15, 2008

Happy Father's Day!

To all the fathers out there, Happy Father's Day!!!

To Adam, Happy Father's Day, hun! Thank you for being such an amazing father for the girls and such a great partner for me. Father's Day is so much more fun now than it was for me growing up. Thank you for making that true.

To Gary, Happy Father's Day! Thank you for being such a kind, loving, honest, sincere father. You are everything I could ever want in a father-in-law. I can only hope Adam turns out as good as you have. :-)

And, to my mom, Happy Father's Day to you, too. Thank you for being both my mother AND my father growing up. I don't know how you did it, but I thank my lucky stars you did. Thank you.

Last night, I went to one of the best baby showers ever for a friend from my knitting group, Kristi: good food, great company, and perfect presents. One member of the group said that "every group has a heart, and Kristi is the heart of our group" and I couldn't agree more. Kristi is one of those enviable people who likes most people and most people like her, and is completely generous with her time, love, and attention. So very different from me.... I really don't know how she does it. But, it was great to celebrate Kristi's first baby, who will be born in July. Kristi got oodles of knitted gifts (ironically, even more than usual from our knitting group!); it was obvious all night how much we all adore Kristi. Here is what I made for her baby:

It's Elizabeth Zimmerman's Baby Surprise Jacket made out of Ecco, a superwash DJ weight wool (very springy). It was truly a fun knit. While knitting it, it is like origami, in one piece that looks like nothing wearable, then you cast off, make one fold, sew two seams at the shoulders, and you have a jacket! A great, great knit. I found the pattern in her book, The Opinionated Knitter.

Before the baby shower, we had a perfect day going on a bike ride along the Ogden River Parkway with Jenn and Peter (we were quite the entourage!), stopping at a new shop along the river for some warm beneighs (sp??) and cafe au laits. It was finally a warm day and was just beautiful out.

Last Sunday, our good friends from college and early SLC days, Cable and Lesley and their two boys, came to visit us. They were visiting Cable's parents down in SLC and came up for the evening. It was so great to see them again. Their boys are adorable (and their parents are not bad, either!). :-)

And, at the beginning of the week, we had a great time visiting with the Girz family, who moved to Ohio last August. It was great to see Anna and her best friend, Ana, together again (who Grace absolutely adores, too), and Grace loved playing with her pal, Nick. I loved getting to hang out with their parents, too. And, while they were here, we got to see Suzanne, Emma and Kate a lot, too. That was one really great part of our week. We got to go to the Nature Center, have lunch along the river, the dads took the kids swimming and Kim, Suzanne, and I went on a hike, we had a pizza party at our house, and we took the new train to SLC and went to the planetarium at the Gateway. Thanks, guys, for visiting and for spending so much time with us while you were here! It's just not the same without you here; we miss you every day. Keep in touch!

I'm off to put some cinnamon rolls in the oven. Grace just finished her card while I've been typing this; Anna is still asleep and will have to finish hers later... Good thing Father's Day is ALL day. :-)

1 comment:

Mikaron said...

Love this post, K! You let a lot of love flow through your writing. Makes me smile. You definitely have some great fathers in your life. :)